Monday 21 January 2013

Don't forget about your natural nails


With nail art, gels and acrylics being all the rage right now, we might forget about the beauty of our natural nails.

I thought I’d take a break from the colour and just wear a clear polish but I took of a layer of nail polish off last week and noticed how much the constant reapplication of nail varnish had stained my nails.

Did I need to give my nails a breather from all the lacquer?

Researching opinion online I read that nails are made of keratin so, they don't require oxygen and do not need to ‘breathe’ the way your skin does. 

Expert nail technicians at Jessica Nails dispelled the myth further saying: “Nails actually don't need to breathe, it's a myth! Keeping them polished actually helps to protect them.” 

Furthermore luxury nail artist Sophy Robson added nails, “don't need to breathe they are dead tissue. But if you leave the same polish on for too long they will stain and dry out.”  

So there was no need for my panic it seems all I need to do is regularly change nails polish after a while to avoid discolouration and dehydration and give them a lil’ tlc.

Knowing that I’m looking after my nails in the right way now I can continue doing what I set out to do and that was to ditch the colour and go for clear natural nails.



nail care



Nails Inc beauty product / Forever 21 , £3.02 / John Lewis / Clear nail polish, £5.03 / The Body Shop body shop, £7.54

Bianca x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bee,
    Great post. I came across the same problem with discoloured nails too. I've found that taking a breather from coloured nail polish really helps. I also read somewhere that it's good to apply a clear base coat polish, before applying the colour - as this would help to protect the nails.
    LiLi Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a base coat is essential. What do you use? xx

      Delete