Friday 15 February 2013

My top beauty products to relieve dry skin

Since the bitterly cold weather set in I noticed how flaky and dry the skin on my face was getting. So I decided to bump up my facial skincare regime because I’m really low maintenance when it comes to beauty. Until now it consumed of facial cleansing wipes and the occasional splash of water morning and night.

The products I’m using on my face to prevent, protect and restore hydrated skin are pictured below.
I decided to go back to tried and trusted products I had used before and tried some new items too.


Blistex Relief Cream

A good friend of mine recommended this cream to me as an effective formula that will help to correct chapped lips. The cold weather has really made my lips crack so I thought I’d give this a go. It seems like something you would use for medicinal purpose and to be fair it does say it treat cold sores, so yeah it’s not your typical lip balm. However it really does the trick, after a couple days of applying the cream it smoothed the dry and sore areas and acted like a primer underneath the usual application of lip balm or butter.

St Ives Apricot Scrub for Sensitive Skin

I use St Ives as my exfoliator because I love the fruity apricot smell and the formula’s creamy texture. I know this scrub isn’t for everyone but it has worked well for me before. I had previously used the Invigorating Scrub but since I noticed my skin had become sensitive I opted for that version. There is also type for renewing and firm which is called Timeless Skin and blemish fighting called Naturally Clear.

According to St Ives this extra mild formula for dry or sensitive skin, “instantly smoothes skin and is gentle enough to use every day.”

It’s also Oil-free - Non-irritating • dermatologist-tested • 100% natural exfoliants • 100% natural extracts • Formulated without parabens and phthalates.

The exfoliating beads are made up of crushed walnuts and corn kernel meal and when gently rubbed across the skin they don’t feel too abrasive. I spent a couple minutes massaging the cream into the skin, washed it off with warm and patted my face dry. The thing I like about this scrub is that it leaves the skin feeling refreshed and soft rather than tight. The directions say to use every day but I think use is best twice or three times a week morning or night.

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream SPF 15 Moisturiser

When I am not planning on wearing any make up for the day I apply the EA Eight Hour Cream Daily Moisturiser.

According to Elizabeth Arden, ‘This daily hydrating lotion leaves skin feeling soft, smooth and moisturized for up to 8 hours. Protects skin from the effects of extreme weather and climate changes while SPF 15 shields skin from the harmful effects of the sun. Suitable for all skin types.’

It leaves my skin feeling hydrated and soft without being too greasy, I think it’s a great moisturiser for dry sensitive skin as it relieves the tight feeling. The tube I’m using is a part of the Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream starter kit so it’s only 15ml. When it runs out I’d definitely buy the full size.

The Body Shop All-in-One BB Cream

For days when I do apply makeup I’ve been using The Body Shop’s All-in-One Colour Adapting Tinted BB Cream. It was a real struggle for me to find a BB cream that matched my skin tone, when I got my hands on this it was a pleasant surprise. The colour adapting beads really work, there are only three different shades - I’m using 03 for darker skin tones. I’ve used it for three months and I’m so happy with the results.

The Body Shop says this, “All-In-One BB cream transforms from a white cream to suit your skin tone. Pigment-filled capsules burst when applied to the skin, releasing the colour inside. Just blend for a perfect match and an even, undetectable finish. It’s make-up and skincare in one.”

I found that this worked wonders for dry skin as the mositurising qualities create a dewy and glowing complexion. I applied small amounts of cream around my face and blended in with a foundation brush. The formula is light and gives the right amount of coverage, I don’t use any foundation over it but I do apply concealer under my eyes underneath because it’s not totally flawless. If you have sensitive skin and don’t want to wear foundation this is your product.

What beauty products do you use to combat dry skin during winter?

Bianca x

2 comments:

  1. i've never tried any of these products but your post has been very informative, might have to give them a go! :)

    also, i followed your blog. :)

    http://smelliie.blogspot.co.uk/ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. Yeah give them a go let me know what you think x

    ReplyDelete